Mold and mildew are particularly tough cleaning foes. There’s nothing worse than black and green spots crawling along your grout lines and up the walls of your bathroom – not to mention mold’s toxic affects on air quality. Mold spores have been linked to rashes, congestion, fatigue, headaches, chronic sinusitis, as well as other afflictions in more sensitive individuals. You may be used to turning to bleach immediately when you see mold rear its ugly head, but there are ways to fight it that don’t involve harming your lungs and skin.
Preventing mold from growing in the first place is obviously the ideal non-toxic solution. What prevention really comes down to is humidity. Take away moisture and mold can’t grow. Here are some tips to help you make your bathroom as dry as possible.
A bathroom-venting fan is your first line of defense. Make sure it is rated to fit the size of your bathroom. One rule of thumb: a fan must exhaust 1 cubic foot per minute (CFM) for every square foot. So, a 40-square-foot bathroom needs a fan rated for 40 CFM. Run the fan during showers and afterward for at least 20 minutes.
Keep a thermometer that also measures humidity or a hygrometer in the bathroom and in at least ne other room in the house. Relative humidity levels should be kept below 50%. Use a dehumidifier, heater, or air-conditioner when other moisture controls fail.
Repair any leaks in your bathroom and elsewhere in your home or office building. Be aware that mold can grow inside your walls and ceiling. Any source of moisture will help mold thrive.
To learn more about how Landrum’s Services skill and expertise can eliminate maintenance problems in your place of business visit www.landrumsservices.com.